Friday, July 29, 2011

Microwave Mania

My microwave finally went ka-plooie (technical term) about 2 months ago. It had been repaired at least 20 years ago and I know it was at least 30 years old. Rather than repair it again (and where do you get a Montgomery Ward microwave repaired, anyway??) I searched for a new microwave that would fit the cabinet space. Easy, right? Wrong!



There were plenty of models that fit the space. It was just that my space was too big for the current models. Width wise, they fit pretty well. It was top to bottom where I had way too much space for today's smaller models.



No problem, just get a trim kit. But even the trim kits were too small for the space.



Eventually, after ordering and returning a microwave and trim kit, reordering a different model and getting a trim kit that was too wide for the cabinet, and reordering the correct trim kit, I finally had all the pieces.



I was still a little bit stymied so called a friend whose husband had retired from the cabinet making business. I thought he would have some ideas about how to get it installed correctly. Dick was wonderfully helpful in getting a base built up so the trim kit would fit correctly. After some difficulties matching up screw holes and getting the microwave leveled, it's finally done.



While I was able to reheat my tea on the stove and cook soup in a pan, it is so much more convenient to use a microwave.



Yeah!



Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment