Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fabric Foray

One of my favorite quilt shops is having their Labor Day Sale - loads of bolts at $3.99/yard.  Pohlar Fabrics is a wonderful shop and if you're ever near the Richmond, Indiana - Cincinnati, Ohio area, it's worth a detour.  The scenery is lovely, it's near Brookville Reservoir and Pohlar's has tons of fabrics, patterns, sewing machines, threads...you get the idea.

I invited some friends to go with me as it's a good 1 1/2 hours away and I love having company.  Both Jeannette and Carol originally said no but changed their minds.  We got a somewhat late start but finally made it to Pohlar's around noon.  I made a beeline to the sale fabric and found two fabrics immediately.  I also noticed two tables of flannel - so took a picture and sent it to one of my quilting friends who loves flannels.  Couldn't get my phone to accept a message to text with the picture so I ended up calling her with the details.

I'm not sure what Carol was getting ready to say - but here she is standing in front of the flannels .  I'm not a real flannel enthusiast but these were lovely flannels.  Almost bought some for a backing for a quilt.  Almost...but not quite.
 We spent about an hour or so looking through the fabrics.  Carol was looking for binding to go with the quilt she's holding in her hands.  I think she's planning to take that quilt to Beaver Island in two weeks so she was pleased to find a good binding fabric for it.  She also found some thread to do some machine quilting with on another quilt.  Success!

Jeannette bought some fabric to make some of her fabric bowls.  She's making a few to include in the Quilter's Boutique for our Guild Quilt show in October.  I helped select the fabric so know that I'll like the combination!

After getting checked out, we searched for a restaurant I knew about that overlooks the Brookville Reservoir.  I couldn't remember the name (it's Ainsley's Cafe) so I missed the turn so we drove to the Quakertown Recreation Area and saw three original log cabins.  The gate attendant laughed at me - I was way far north of where the restaurant was located - and gave us directions.
We ate outside on the porch overlooking the marina and lake.  You can see the clouds  but no rain...yet.  Carol & Jeannette refused to turn around - I still asked them to smile when I got ready to take their picture!

We also found a short path leading to this overlook.  See the sailboat in the background?  Lots of boats on the lake today despite the forecasts for rain.
 We did drive through some rain on the way home but it was mostly dry.  It sprinkled as I dropped Jeannette off at her house and then again when I arrived home.  Looking out my window now, I can see lots of blue sky through the clouds.  Indy got several inches but it doesn't look like we got that much here.
Look at the luscious fabrics.  The red and white circles are the start of a new color collection.  No more collecting black and whites.  The ghost fabric was on sale and is for pillowcases for the Quilter's Boutique.  Colorful fabric on the white background is because I like it.  I actually like ALL of these fabrics but don't have a project for this particular piece.  The Black fabric with the swirls and the solids are for an upcoming quilt project.  I was tickled to find them as they fill a gap in my stash.  I realize I've been collecting batiks for several years but don't have very many blender type fabrics or solids.  So I'm getting a start on that!
The other thing I realized is that there are three condos at the edge of the lake - a perfect site for a quilt retreat!  There's a big meeting room under the restaurant - perfect for setting up sewing machines - and the condos come in 1 and 2 bedroom configurations.  With the lake just outside the door and Pohlar's down the road, what could be better?  Check it out - The Sagamore Resort.

Pohlar's sale continues next week.  If you've got the time, it's worth a trip.  Ainsley's Cafe will be open on Labor Day and closed Tuesday, reopening on Wednesday.

Cheers!

Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment