Friday, October 5, 2012

Quilt Show Frenzy

This week has been Quilt Show week.

Monday saw me driving to Grand Rapids to observe in the judging room prior to the West Michigan Quilters Guild.  Andi Perejda and Beverly Fine were the judges.  Having taken a design course taught by Andi and Beverly at NQA in June, I was looking forward to observing their judging.  The only picture I was able to take was of Andi and Beverly signing the judging forms - couldn't take pictures of the gorgeous quilts as they were being judged and I wasn't able to stay for the show.  If you're in the Grand Rapids area this weekend (Oct 6-7, 2012), it's worth a visit to this show at the Delta Plex Arena.  They have fabulous quilts, lots of vendors and you'll be in for a real treat.


Andi (on the left) and Beverly getting ready to review the judging forms.  I think I caught Andi with a cookie in her mouth - the treats prepared by members of the West Michigan Quilters Guild were delicious.
This weekend is also the Columbus Star Quilters Guild and the Evening Star Quilters Guild Biennial Show.  Early this morning we loaded all of the poles (I provided the pickup truck - the supportive spouses loaded the poles).  Observing in the judging room at our show was interesting, as well.  There was just a single judge and she was meticulous and thorough.  It may be odd to say this since I'm a machine quilter, but I was pleasantly surprised at the number of hand quilted quilts.
Kristen Brown with the quilt awarded the Mayor's Choice.  You can see the special ribbon with the Columbus  "C" on the blue background on the right edge of the quilt.
We had a reception for guild members this evening with a special award - the Mayor's Choice.  Kristen Brown spent over an hour walking through the show, talking with guild members and learning about quilts.  She selected this quilt as her choice - beautiful applique and wonderful piecing.  On a personal note, it was fun to talk with Kristen about her parents.  My office was next to her Dad's office for several years and her mother is one of the nicest people I know.

The Best of Show award went to Carol Walp, president of the Evening Star Quilt Guild.  Her quilt is absolutely gorgeous and deserves this recognition. 

I'm on the left; Carol is on the right.  Her quilt is a beautiful medallion quilt with a variety of quilt blocks surrounding the quilt.  She does impeccable work and her quilt is certainly deserving of the Best of Show award.  She invited me to stand in the picture because I quilted her quilt.  Why didn't someone tell me I had my glasses hanging from the neck of my shirt?!!

Carol and Ann are at the Quilter's Boutique.  We have many unique gifts this year, reasonably priced and Carol has done an excellent job of preparing the Boutique for the onslaught of shoppers.

This year's Challenge was to design a block depicting a scene based on the theme "Into the Woods."  What a lovely collection of blocks using a variety of quilting techniques.

So - if you're near Columbus, Indiana or Grand Rapids, Michigan this weekend, make sure you stop by to see our quilt shows.  They'll be a treat and are certainly worth an hour or two of your time.

Cheers!

Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment