Sunday, May 16, 2010

MQS Fashion Show Award Winner!

I just returned from the Machine Quilters Showcase (MQS) held in Overland Park, KS.  What a FANTASTIC time I had this year (as I did last year and the year before).  It will take several days for me to blog about all of the fun things that happened.  Today's blog is about the Fashion Show.

One of the people assisting in the Judging Room with me was Carol Brooks.  She is studying to be a certified judge and I learned alot about judging by talking with her at lunch and while we were taking quilts hither and yon.  During one of our treks, she talked with Laura Wertwijn, coordinator of the Fashion Show, about getting models for the two vests she created for the show.  Being a free spirit and as I didn't have anything else to do at the time of the Fashion Show, I volunteered.  I have to tell you that Laura was (rightly) skeptical of my ability as a model and waving my arms in exagerated swoops as if I had a long sleeved gown on didn't help convince her that I was a good candidate.

Regardless, the time of the Fashion Show drew near and my services as a model were needed.  So I tried to be a demure and gracious model.  OK, you all know me and know that's not my style.  To top it off, the paragraph that the mistress of ceremonies, Dawn Cavanaugh, was reading was fairly long and I was supposed to continue modeling the jacket on stage while she was reading.

Well, after two model-like turns so the photographer could take pictures and two trips to each corner of the stage, I had to continue modeling on stage.  So the jacket came off and I slung it over my shoulder on trip #3 to one corner.  As I went to the other corner, I held the jacket open so the audience could see the lining.  The use of Hobbs Thermore batting and the attached lining were things being mentioned by Dawn and I was just trying to show the audience all of the key features.

Finally, off the stage and then the walk through the audience so they could see the jacket up close.  Linda Hamson was the quilter who made the jacket and it was very comfortable to wear, light weight and plenty warm.  I passed by Linda and told her she might not get the jacket back - I was thinking about taking it as my reimbursement for being a model.  That didn't happen so I might have to make my own.

Now, the jacket I was modeling was in the Novice category along with Kiley's Coat.  Kiley is an adorable 8 year old and was modeling her coat.  Her mother was also pressed into service and modelled a jacket with a Laurel Burch horse on the back of the jacket.

Kiley and her mother, Trisch Price.  Isn't Kiley's coat beautiful?  She has worn it to school several times and loves it.  Trisch said Kiley's grown a little since it was originally made but that didn't stop it from taking an award.  The crushed panne velvet at the end of the sleeves and around the collar felt so luxurious.
Carol's vests are beautiful and there is an article about her technique starting on page 40 of the American Quilter magazine's May 2010 issue entitled Quiet Applique.  I'm going to check out this technique.  In addition to the beautiful look of the applique, the piping on the edges of the vest was some of the best I've ever seen.  Carol - a lesson, please!!!  Look at Carol's vest in the picture below. 
Laura Wertwijn is on the right.  Pat, the model in the center, has on one of Carol Brooks' vests.  The vest on the left is modeled by the quilter's mother.  Both vests are gorgeous and were fun to look at prior to our runway strut.
Well, I missed the awards ceremony as I was having dinner with Sharon Neuer, her husband, and some of our friends.  When I returned to the quilt show the next morning, I found I had indeed received an award - Best Model.  I received 14 write-in votes!  They even had an award to present.  I feel so badly that I wasn't there.  And look at the cool award I received - lots of fun candy and stuff:

So, all in all, it was a fun experience.  If you're ever asked to participate in a fashion show, DO IT!  It was lots of great.

1 comment:

  1. Well, yet another career is born :-)
    Sounds like you had a wonderful time..why is there a bandaid in your prize package?!

    ReplyDelete