Sunday, September 26, 2010

Quilt Show Preparations

Next weekend will be the opening of the 14th Bienniel Quilt Show presented by the Columbus Star Quilters and the Evening Star Quilters.  Final preparations are in full swing.  This past week, I've quilted two quilts that will be entered in the show and they are STUNNING, a direct reflection on the piecing.  I do hope the quilting enhances each of these quilts and I think it does.  Of course, I'm prejudiced in that regard.

One of the quilts will go to a Quilts of Valor recipient.  Rosie did a tremendous job piecing the quilt using one inch square scraps and she entrusted the quilting to me.  Here's a quick peek at a small portion of her quilt:


Rosie's piecing is superb and her placement of fabrics in this quilt is exquisite.  It really does look like stained glass windows when you look at the entire quilt.
While at the Beaver Island Quilt Retreat, I was sitting across the table from Carol and saw her quilt being pieced using "Liberated" techniques.  When she asked me to quilt it I was thrilled.  And I came up with what I thought was a "Liberated" way of quilting the quilt, using some of the strategies that Gwen Marston used in quilting her quilts and some I invented on the fly.  (Shhh - don't tell Carol they were on the fly.)  As I was working on various sections of the quilt, I kept envisioning Carol's work to develop each block in a unique way and tried to let that thought process guide my quilting.  Here's a teaser from Carol's quilt:

Straight lines and a variety of spacings were used to great advantage on Gwen's liberated quilts.   Carol decided circles in the border would be a wonderful contrast with the angular piecing in the middle of the quilt.  I had lots of fun working on this quilt and we both think it looks great.
The border treatment is one that I had great fun with and one I'll use again.  Don't know when but it's a keeper.  As much fun as the front of this quilt is, the back is even better!  Be sure to ask a White Glover to show you the back of the quilt.

I'm also finishing the binding on my bed quilt entry:


I still love the shape of this vase on the bottom border of my quilt.  This binding is now completed.  Still have to add the hanging sleeve, however.
Saturday afternoon, Carol and I worked on the final preparations for the Quilter's Boutique.  We tagged each item with a price and packed them for transportation to the venue this coming Friday.

Here are just a few of the latest additions to the Boutique selections.  You'll want to be certain you shop early for the best selection - we're hoping for a sell out!

If you're within easy driving distance of to Columbus, be sure to visit our quilt show us at Donner Center (22nd & Sycamore, Columbus, IN) on either Saturday, October 2nd from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. or on Sunday, October 3rd from Noon to 5 p.m.  We'll be looking for you!

Cheers!
Margaret

2 comments:

  1. Those socks are mine!!! Send me the bill before they go to the boutique - I see Melissa's heels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE how you quilted Carol's quilt! It is so fun to see some of the retreat quilts after they leave retreat!

    ReplyDelete