Saturday, September 11, 2010

Quilt Treasures

Having returned from the beach on Saturday, Mom and I finally went swimming at CCRA - the pool where I learned to swim.

Sunday was Mom's birthday so after church, we went downtown to the Smithsonian American Art Museum to see the exhibit of Norman Rockwell prints and paintings.  It was interesting to see the exhibit which had works from the collections owned by George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.  While I'm familiar with Norman Rockwell's work, there were several that I had never seen before.  It was also interesting to read the comments by Lucas and Spielberg about why they were attracted to individual works - reminding them of events in their past or providing inspiration as they work.

My sister, Helen, had seen the exhibit a few weeks earlier and mentioned we should go to the third floor.  She didn't tell me why.  As we stepped off the elevator, we were faced with the exhibit of Christo's and Jean-Claude's Running Fence, erected in California during 1976.  As interesting as that exhibit was, I didn't think that was the reason she mentioned the third floor.  We walked through an exhibit of portraits  and I finally saw what Helen was referring to.  One wing of the third floor had wonderful tile and stained glass with beautiful possibilities for future quilting designs!  The only problem was I didn't have my camera with me.  Never again will I make THAT mistake.

On Monday, Dad and I went to an auction.  He was interested in some bank stock and I was interested in the Featherweight and quilts that were advertised.

The quilts were auctioned early and I was the winning bidder on this Bow Tie quilt.  Only $5!

All of the blocks are bow ties so you can tell how much some of the fabrics have faded.
I think the reason there were only 2 bids on this quilt was that someone had sewn a piece of muslin over a portion of the quilt on one end.  The muslin had frayed so all that was left of it was some ratty looking muslin strips still attached to the quilt.  I'm not an expert at dating materials and haven't had much of a chance to research the materials in the quilt but I'm guessing 1930's - 1940's.  It's hand pieced and quilted.  It is quite dirty - just folding the quilt released clouds of dust, there are some spots and a rip or two.  Part of what makes it so interesting are the fabrics and how some have faded.

Never did see the featherweight but there were some other sewing machines for sale.  It was interesting to see the decorations on the sewing machines and the cabinets.  I struck up a conversation with a gentleman who said one of the sewing machines was his grandmothers.  He remembers her sitting at the treadle machine sewing - clothing, quilts, all sorts of things.

Look at the decorations on this machine.

How about the ornamentation on this one?

The real treasure, however, was found at home.  On a routine trip through the house, I noticed a red and white quilt folded up in the attic.  I jumped on it and asked if I could take it with me.  I would have left the $5 quilt behind in favor of this one but I was able to get them both into my bag.  Lucky me!

This is now my absolute favorite quilt in my collection.  (Does 4 quilts constitute a collection?)
It was made by Dad's Grandma Kepler.  Hand pieced, hand quilted and in wonderful condition given its age and the fact that it has been used for years and years.  Dad remembers sleeping under the quilt when he was a little boy.  I remember sleeping under this quilt when I was growing up.  And it's my all time favorite pattern - Double Irish Chain.  I've always wanted to make one in two colors - I think the impact is stunning.  It just barely covers the top of this double bed but I love seeing it as I walk past the bedroom.  

Cheers!
Margaret 

No comments:

Post a Comment