Sunday, October 3, 2010

Best of Show and Viewer's Choice

What a great Quilt Show!  I have to admit I was excited to be a part of this quilt show - my first real behind the scenes participation in the preparations.  The comments received from those attending the quilt show were quite complimentary and, in my humble opinion, well deserved.  The quality of the quilts was outstanding.  Of course, the quality of our guild members is outstanding so great quilts shouldn't be any surprise.

It was fun to be present when the checks were given to the Best of Show and Viewer's Choice winners.  Their quilts were truly exquisite.


Cathy Bahnsen (left) accepting the award from Susan Rothrock, Guild president, for the Best of Show Quilt.  Cathy and Susan have their arms around Dorothy McKay (now deceased), one of the founders of the Guild.  It's Dorothy's appliqued top that is the front of this wonderful quilt.  Cathy said she feels Dorothy sitting on her shoulder from time to time encouraging her as she works on a quilt.

Cathy pieced these irises for the back of her quilt.  What a bold and lovely statement these make.  I love the gradations in the purple fabric used for the iris on the left.  You can also see the quilting - fun to study up close.
I've gotten to know Cathy a little bit through the guild and hope to get to know her much better in the coming year.  I do know that she is a guiding light to many in the guild.  You don't have to talk to guild members very long before Cathy's name comes up - usually as in, "Cathy taught me..." or "Cathy showed me how to..." or "Cathy's quilt was gorgeous."  That last statement certainly applies to her Best of Show quilt.  The quilt top was appliqued by Dorothy McKay and somehow found its way to Cathy.  Cathy pieced the irises for the back.  It was quilted by Marilyn Harding, who does quilting at The Back Door.  I studied her quilting and have some new things to try on future quilts.

Viewer's Choice is the quilt selected by quilt show attendees.  I helped with the preliminary ballot count late Saturday afternoon.  The interesting thing was that there were lots of votes for lots of different quilts - a tribute to not only the variety of quilts but also the variety of tastes of those viewing the quilts.

A truly stunning quilt was selected as viewer's choice.

Rosemary Rudolf (left) accepting her award from Susan Rothrock.  As wonderful as this quilt is to see in the picture, it was really exciting to see it up close.  Rosemary's applique was tremendous.  Her quilting wasn't bad either...in fact it was WONDERFUL.  Of course, I'm biased.  Rosemary has taught me so much about longarm quilting and has been a great supporter as I learn more about the art of quilting.  Looking at this quilt I know I still have lots to learn. 

Rosemary and her friends celebrating her Viewer's Choice award.  One of Rosemary's quilts won Viewer's Choice at the 2008 quilt show.  They are both great quilts and both have a tremendous amount of applique on them.  Is there a trend developing??? 
Congratulations to Cathy, Rosemary and the entire Guild for a wonderful show.

Cheers!
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment