Sunday, March 6, 2011

Quilts and More Quilts

This past week was the annual Indiana Heritage Quilt Show at Bloomington.  It's always fun to see the quilts at the show and shop at the vendor booths.  Deb, Kathy and I have been going for the past several years and it's a wonderful tradition.  I missed part of that tradition this year because I took a class on Thursday but I did get to eat lunch with Deb, Kathy, Lois and Jan.  It took on a special glow this year as Deb and Kathy mentioned that the quilt I entered had received a ribbon!  I'd been in class all morning so hadn't even had a chance to check that out.

I snuck under the tape barriers protecting the quilts so that Kathy could get my picture.  It's a Third Place ribbon in the Pieced Wall Hanging Category.  And to think I almost didn't enter the quilt in the show!
Lois, Jan and I took a class from Sue Nickels on Stitched Raw Edge Applique.  Although applique is one of those techniques I never thought I'd be interested in, I've come to appreciate how much it can add to a quilt.  I had heard about what a good teacher Sue is and after taking her class, I wholeheartedly agree.  She has a wonderful syle of presenting information and a great setup for ensuring everyone can watch her closely.


Sue has a small camera in front of her, just under the white Ott light.  She works so that the camera projects what she's doing on the screen behind her.  This is a terrific way to demonstrate techniques in a way that everyone in the classroom can see what is happening.

Jan and Lois are working on their applique pieces.  Lois has a great travel iron with only one flaw...the handle sometimes will just decide to collapse to one side.  Make it interesting!

We learned how to do applique with fabric hidden under adjoining pieces of fabric...

...several layers of fabric, sharp points, and embellishments, including the small thread flower stem...

...and this happy flower with a type of reverse applique in the middle.
Sue's tips were really helpful and I found a button on my machine I didn't know I had - the start of pattern button!  While I may have read about this button when I got my machine, I obviously hadn't used it until this class.  My machine applique isn't quite up to snuff but I was pleased with the results after this class.  I just need to figure out what my next project will be after I get done with the quilts in waiting.

Cheers!
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment