Saturday, March 26, 2011

Time with Family

One of the joys of going to the Seaside Stitchers retreat in March is the time I get to spend with my sister and her family.  Marian had her Powder Puff Football game on Friday, which the seniors won by the skin of their teeth.  Unfortunately, she had damaged some ligaments in her knee during one of their practices and wasn't able to play.  Although her cheering from the sideline surely helped, their winning margin would have been much greater had she been on the field, I'm sure.  No bias on my part as a doting aunt!  Charlie had a party with friends and other activities during the weekend.  But I did get to see how tall he's grown - taller than his Dad.

The reflecting pool in the courtyard, looking towards the Getty Villa.
Helen and I did go to the Getty Villa on Saturday.  It was a beautiful day and the Villa is located in a canyon with a view of the ocean.  It's an interesting setting in which many of Getty's treasures are displayed.  We took the Garden tour and then wandered through the Villa. 

I loved the flowing vine from the vase on the wall panel in the covered gallery that surrounded the reflecting pool.  This would make a beautiful border for a whole cloth quilt.  I'm still collecting ideas!

Inside one of the galleries was this vase.  The design on the side of the vase is gorgeous.
The display of Greek and Roman antiquities are arranged by theme rather than chronologically.  Only a portion of the treasures were exhibited so there was plenty of room to walk around and view the statues and other items without feeling crowded - a wonderful treat.

After leaving the Getty Villa, we met up with Jim and Marian to see the movie Jane Eyre.  If you haven't seen it yet, do!  It's a wonderful presentation of the story.  I so enjoyed reading Jane Eyre one winter vacation - I can still remember curling up on the couch with a blanket over me, engrossed in reading Jane's story.

We followed that with a wonderful dinner at Louise's Trattoria in Old Town Pasadena.  Their food is wonderful.  As much as I liked my entree (and it was delicious), the taste treat of the evening was the Burrata and Beets.  I love beets and the way they fixed the roasted beets with Burrata cheese was a taste treat.  It was a truly enjoyable dinner, with plenty of time to hear Marian's retelling of the Powder Puff game.

I so appreciate the hospitality of Helen's family and the chance to catch up with the happenings in their lives.  Thanks for allowing me to disrupt your routine for a few days.  And thanks, too, to Marian for allowing me to borrow her sewing machine.

Cheers!
Margaret 

No comments:

Post a Comment