Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bluhming Feathers

Rosie asked me to quilt her gorgeous quilt.  The fabrics are beautiful, coordinate well and her applique was executed so perfectly.  After studying the quilt for a few days, I came up with a quilting design that I thought would enhance the quilt.  Long stemmed roses are in the piano key border and mimic the roses in the floral fabric.  The tulips and vases are outlined with stitch in the ditch and a version of McTavishing is in the cream areas to help them stand out.
Rosie's Floral Garden  - truly a beautiful creation
But the really exciting part of the quilting for me are the feathers in the set in triangles and the floral border.  I saw these in Irena  Bluhm's book, Whimsical and Funky Feathers, that I received for Christmas.  I had taken a class from Irena two years ago and enjoy her quilts with their bright colors and extensive quilting.  So this book is a treat.  Page 102 had the perfect combination of feathers for these triangles and the long expanse of the inner border.
This whimsical and funky feather looks perfect in this large triangle.
Best of all was Rosie's reaction when she saw the quilt.  "I love it.  I do. I do!"  How gratifying it is to have that kind of reaction .  And how lucky I am to have friends like Rosie who trust me with their quilts.

Cheers!

Margaret

1 comment:

  1. Oh, the quilting on this is so lovely! Great combination of the different styles.
    Irena's design creativity is amazing. I was involved in an online 'list' years ago when Irena first started longarming. She blew us away with her amazing work from day one! Both she and Karen Mctavish have each opened up our eyes to beautiful possiblities. and on top of that are so generous to share and teach the rest of us :-)

    ReplyDelete