Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Family Treasures

My parents are in the process of thinking about downsizing.  After living in their home for 54 years, the task is somewhat daunting.  So, being the good daughter that I am, the last two times I visited, I scouted around for some quilts that I remembered from my childhood.  I managed to bring one quilt home from each of those 2 visits - quite a feat since I had flown home and didn't have much spare room in my carry on luggage.


My Dad's grandmother, Maggie May McDowell Kepler, made over 100 quilts during her lifetime and this is one of them.  It wasn't until I took this picture that I really noticed exactly how much hand quilting there was on the quilt.   In talking with my sister, I found out she wanted this quilt.  It has nine blocks, each with the same cross stitch design pre-printed on the fabric.  The binding was frayed so after talking with my friend Carol who now has a quilt restoration and preservation business (Threads and Pieces - contact her at carol.walp@hotmail.com), I put a new binding on to help stabilize the border.  


When I first looked at the cross stitch work, it almost looked like some of the stitching was never completed.  Even after all these years, you can see the printed markings despite having been washed many times, I'm sure.  But in looking further, I think it was all completed but has just worn away over the years.  There's actually another circle of yellow stitches inside the blue circle but most of the yellow stitches are gone.  Would that color have been weaker than the blue?

So this quilt is now on it's way to Helen.  I know she'll treasure it as a fond childhood memory as well as a gift from the past.

Cheers!
Margaret


2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful treasure! What a sweet quilt to have from your great grandmother.
    Lovely gift to share with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so lucky to have this quilt and one other quilt. The other one is not is as good a shape but I still hold it close to my heart.

      Delete