Monday, April 30, 2012

Milroy Amish School Auction

Carol, Lillian and I decided to brave the potentially stormy weather to attend the semi-annual Milroy Amish School Auction.  No weather issues getting there and we were safely engaged in the quilt auction when the thunderstorm went through.

First things first - Lillian & Carol found that fruit pies hit the spot as we gathered energy for quilt viewing.
This was a new location and the first thing that caught my eye was a large mechanical thing that I found out was a metal shearing machine.  We were in an Amish tool shop powered by generators!  Quite interesting.
This was an enormous machine and had a pulley for a PTO on one end.  I had to ask one of the Amish men what it was used for.  He was there with his wife, who was looking at the quilts.
But the main draw for us was the quilt auction.  The quilts were piled on tables by the time we got there so we looked through them as they were finishing the furniture auction.
Piles of quilts.   They had been hung up prior to our arrival for easier viewing.   There were tables and tables of them.
Here's the wall hanging I bought.  I actually saw it from the back side first - the quilting caught my eye.  Traditional pattern and colors.  I love the rope quilting in the brown sashing.  But why is there no quilting in the dark blue sashing?
  The first quilt came up quickly and I happened to glance over and see it - a very traditional pattern that had beautiful quilting.  We were over on one side and I had trouble catching the auctioneer's eye.  The Amish couple I had talked to earlier hollered at the auctioneer for me and I won this quilt.  

Prices were similar to those of past auctions I've attended.  I also bought a quilt top - the challenge for me is to get it quilted.  I was absolutely astounded when an Irish Chain quilt top went for $525.  Amazing.

We stayed through the end of the quilt auction - bidding on some of the quilts and other items.  Both Lillian and Carol bid on and won the bids on woven throw rugs - they were gorgeous colors and nice and soft.  They did bid on some quilts and quilt tops but didn't win any of those items.  About half way through the auction, Lillian had the bright idea of putting her rug on the bench for us to sit on.  It was much softer than the wooden bench!

After the end of the auction, we slopped our way back to the car.  Then it was fun trying to drive through the mud and get out.  We did see them towing one truck out of the mud and I was fortunate enough to get out without getting stuck but it was close.  It's like driving on ice - no control of direction - but worse since the car was covered with mud.  Carol treated me to a car wash when we got home.  Got most of the mud but there were still some clumps I had to wash off.  Don't know what the use of this field will be but it certainly got torn up.
We had a good time, enjoyed the atmosphere and enjoyed being with each other.  What more can you ask for on a rainy Saturday?

Cheers!
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment