Saturday, May 26, 2012

MQS 2012

Time flies when you're having fun and I had a wonderful time at MQS this year.  I went a few days early so I could see Cheryl & John before taking them to the airport.  They spent time with Cheryl's daughters in Phoenix over Mother's Day weekend and I got to stay at their home and play with Buddy, the cat!  Cheryl said I was never around the first few days of MQS, anyway, as I am volunteering to assist with some aspect of the show.

This year, for the first time, I got to help with the unpacking of the quilts.  It's quite a process - taking each quilt out of its shipping package, unrolling it, going over it with a lint roller, checking to be certain the quilt matches the information provided on the entry form and then folding it in a specific way to make it easier for those having to handle it in the judging rooms or in the photo area.
Cindy is sitting at the end of the table with the notebook of entry forms.  There's a helper on each side of the table to lay out the quilt, verify that it matches and affix the numbered tag that is used to track the quilt as it travels to various areas.

I didn't take very many photos this year as I purchased the CD with professionally taken photos.  I did have to take a picture of this quilt as I'm very proud of it.  My niece, Diane, made this quilt while at Camp Margaret last summer.  It's the Anniversary Quilt given to her parents in honor of their 25th anniversary.  How can it have been that long?!
I still love this quilt - the batiks from my stash and the perfect piecing by a first time quilter!  Diane did a beautiful job putting this quilt together and then she quilted it herself.  I'm so impressed with her work for a first time effort.
 Another of the fun things I got to do was work with Kimmy Brunner who was the Mistress of Ceremonies for the Audacious Auction for Education.  Funds raised from this auction are used to provide scholarships to attend classes at MQS in subsequent years.  This year, with the help of generous donors, over $11,000 was raised to support the grant program.  If you're interested in applying for a grant, check out the IMQA home page and click on the IMQA Foundation tab to learn more about how to apply for a grant.  I did that in 2009 and am so glad I did.  It's opened up a new world of quilting for me.
Here's Kimmy preparing for the auction.  She takes pictures of each item and then injects her bubbly personality as she banters with the Auctioneer.

Both Laura and I were winning bidders.  Laura won a beautifully handcrafted bowl by  Fred Hill.   Check out his website for more of his exquisite wood work as well as items for quilters!  I was the lucky bidder that won Nemo in Fiji, a quilt made by  Laura Wertwijn.  This wallhanging was made as a sample prior to her making a larger wallhanging with the same theme that she entered into the Show.  I have the perfect place for it in my house - now to get it hung.
I had an enjoyable time catching up with Sharon, a friend who lives in Lee's Summit.  We walked through the vendor mall, examined the quilts on display and then headed out for dinner.  We exchanged ideas about guild programs and possible boutique items - actually Sharon gave me lots of ideas.
Here's Sharon standing here in front of The Rambling River display.  It's the compilation of works by 15 different quilt artists living near the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers.  Sharon's quilt is the 7th from the right - it's the middle panel of the 3 that are hanging even.
 Every year I visit John & Cheryl, I take a quilt or some item as a thank you.  In previous years, I've used fabrics that go with their home decor and that feature the animal prints Cheryl loves.  This year, I had to do something geared toward John's second love - Buddy the cat.  Cheryl provided a selection of pictures and I made this simple but delightful quilt showcasing Buddy's typical poses throughout the day.
John with the Buddy quilt.
So...lots of fun, lots of learning, lots of things to do and lots of great friends - both existing and new.  It was a wonderful week.  

Cheers!
Margaret  

No comments:

Post a Comment