Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Guild Meetings

I attended two guild meetings last week.  At Wednesday's Columbus Star Quilters Guild we were celebrating our birthday - 25th anniversary of the Guild's founding if my memory is correct.  We had a brief program on blocking quilts as well as Show and Tell.  Look at this fun stuff!

Here's Jan modeling a cap that Kathi made for her husband.  She called it a "welding cap," as that's what he wears as he is welding things, I guess.  He loves the fun fabrics like this one with cartoon characters.

Susan and Dottie are holding this wonderful quilt.   I'm thinking this is Dottie's quilt that she hand quilted. 

Susan and Dottie holding another of Dottie's quilts.  This one was for a granddaughter - flannel fuzzy quilt will be warm for her to snuggle in.

Susan sharing one of her knitting projects for the upcoming birth of a granddaughter!  Susan is so excited...first girl baby in the family in forever!  She was working on a little outfit to go along with the blanket.

Don't you love the colors in this bright quilt of Ruthannas?

Cathy displaying one of her artworks.  I've got to get a faster shutter speed or have them pose while I take pictures.
 On Thursday, I was privileged to join the Greenwood Quilt Connections Guild for their evening meeting.  I was actually doing a presentation on Fractured Quilts for them.  Before my presentation, they had their  Show and Tell.  I don't have names of the quilters but I loved the quilts they shared.  It was interesting to me that the quilt designs felt so different from the ones seen at the Columbus guild meetings.
This relatively simple structure is really appealing to me.  The white blocks have streaks of color that are then emphasized by the blues and greens in the alternating blocks. 

This quilt was done by a high school student - her granddaughter.  What a  great design and it was nicely done as you can tell from the ribbons attached to the quilt.
There was some debate by guild members as to what this quilt represented.  But the quiltmaker  set us straight - an African mask.  She had the red fabric and wasn't sure how to use it but she incorporated it well with her other color choices. 
The Greenwood Guild also had a discussion about their upcoming quilt show in September.  It was interesting to hear them talk through the same types of issues we discuss regarding our show in October.  Even more interesting was their discussion about items that would be for sale at their show.  I picked up some good ideas for our Quilters Boutique.  But now the challenge is to get those items made in time for the show!  On to quilting!!

Cheers!
Margaret


No comments:

Post a Comment