Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Quilters Hall of Fame

It was about time I made the trip to see The Quilters Hall of Fame (TQHF) in Marion, Indiana.  So I signed up for 2 lectures during this year's Celebration 2012.  There was time in the middle of the day to see Marie Webster's home which now houses TQHF with quilt displays and items that Marie used to design her quilts.  Marie was a prolific quilt designer from 1911 - 1940 or so with her designs published in the Ladies' Home Journal magazine.  She began making quilt designs around age 50!

This quilt wasn't labeled and I'm not familiar enough with Marie Webster designs to know what it is.  I'll have to research it...unless one of you knows the name of this pattern.

Wind Blown Tulips is the name of this design.  I love the applique along the border and especially the corner.
Eleanor Burns is the latest inductee into The Quilters Hall of Fame.  One of the first quilts I made was from her Irish Chain in a Day book.  I made several baby quilts using that book and loved them.  Still have that book so may make one for me some day.  It's on my list of quilts to make.

I made time to see the exhibit of Eleanor's quilts in the Marion Public Library and was able to stay for a portion of her "Walk Thru" where she talked about the inspiration for many of her techniques.
Here's Eleanor in the Library with the quilts.
 One of the lectures I attended was Eleanor talking about the quilts in her latest book, Tales of the First Ladies.  She puts on a very entertaining show and even got audience members to participate - one as Martha Washington, another as Dolly Madison and a couple as Mary and Abraham Lincoln!

There was also time to walk around the quilt display.  There were some modern quilts as well as some vintage quilts.  I love two color quilts and this orange and white Robbing Peter to Pay Paul was particularly striking.
Of course, I also took a stroll through the vendor mall.  Even found some fabric to buy!  In Stitches, a favorite quilt shop of mine in Rushville, Indiana was there.  I had a few minutes to catch up with Cathy and her mom.  Cathy had some panels to make into fabric books - something my friend Wendy made at a quilt retreat a few years ago.  I've been looking for those types of panels ever since and was delighted to find two different panels in Cathy's booth.  Thanks, Cathy!

Now to sew!

Cheers!
Margaret



No comments:

Post a Comment