Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Panto Creator

A friend asked me to quilt a T-shirt quilt she was making for the son of a friend.  While I think T-shirt quilts are lots of fun because of the memories they carry with them, quilting them offers several challenges.  Do you quilt over the screen printing or not?  Do you do an all over design or custom design in each block?

My preference is doing custom designs in each block, giving the quilt a more personal feel.  But by the time I reach the end of the quilt my creative juices have all run out and it is sometimes a struggle to come up with unique designs for the last few blocks.

On this most recent quilt, I also struggled with what to put in the 6" wide border until I realized that a bullfrog would be the best thing to include.  The young man for whom the quilt is being made has been on the Columbus North Bullfrog Swim Team for several years and quite a few of the T-shirts were from various swimming events.

I looked for appropriate bullfrog pantos online but couldn't find anything appropriate.  So to the design board (a.k.a. kitchen table) I went.  I sketched a semblance of the bullfrog logo and did what I could to make the design continuous.  While most pantographs don't include any backtracking, there just wasn't any way around it in two instances if the integrity of the bullfrog was to remain.

What do you think??  Cute little critter, isn't it?

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea and it came out wonderful. This quilt is going to go over BIG! Nice work :-)
    And Go Bullfrogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my!! I *love* that bullfrog. Perfect for the recipient and neat, neat custom design!

    ReplyDelete