Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Found It!

One of the projects I worked on at Cambria was, in the words of Penelope's creator, the "biggest honkin' bear paw blocks" she has ever seen.  I got help from the entire crew in creating the HST's (couldn't even make one before I got there and now I know how to abbreviate it - quick learner!).   Look at Quiltgranny's Blog for a picture of all the help I got making the HST's!  Then, during our sewing soiree, I worked on bear toenails and bear paw blocks while Sherri worked on her 4th or 5th quilt - I forget which.  That was the night we stayed up until 3:30 a.m.  Sherri - the real reason I didn't want to stay up was I ran out of the fabric  to complete the blocks.  If I'd had the fabric, I'd have worked to finish the quilt.  Oh, well - sorry about that! 

That creamy orangey batik seemed like it would be such an easy thing to find at a quilt shop - it's a great blender and I've used it in two other quilts.  But the shop in Columbus went out of business last summer so no luck there.  And I hadn't been able to find it at any of the shops I'd been in since then, including the shops in California.

And then, on my way to deliver a quilt to a quilt show, I stopped in Sharynn's Quilt Box in North Vernon, Indiana.    You can see the new fabric just above the bear toenails.  While it's not an exact match, it's so very close that it will work in the small amounts needed in the quilt.  And there will be another strip of fabric between the old and new fabrics so I'm sure it will work.  There was just over a yard on the bolt and I bought it all.  Probably more than I need but I'm sure I'll be able to use it elsewhere.  I'm so excited!  Now I can get to work on cutting out more black bears.

Thanks to those of you who combed through your stashes looking for a good match for me.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment